Well, today I poured my first aluminum casting! It went really well, with the only problem being that it was kind of tough getting the burner tuned up well. I was having trouble with it sputtering, and realized it was because I had the burner tube pushed too far inside of the furnace.
Once I got that figured out, it took about eight to ten more minutes before we had melted aluminum! Wow, what a rush to pour what looks like silver paint into a mold! I am waiting on the mold and casting to cool right now, while I write this. I didn’t melt enough aluminum to fill the mold, but I should have a better idea of this whole process works once I do a few of these castings.
Here are some photos of me waiting (not so patiently) for the aluminum to melt, and a video of the aftermath.